[Freetype] Proper way for working with PostScript fonts?

From: Pedriana, Paul
Subject: [Freetype] Proper way for working with PostScript fonts?
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:05:38 -0700

I want to use FreeType to draw some PostScript fonts. Unlike TrueType fonts,
which usually come as a single .ttf file, these PostScript fonts come as
four
files: .afm, .inf, .pfb, .pfm. How do I use these four file types with
FreeType?

FreeType seems to want to open only the .pfb file. However, it seems that
the
font's actual name is instead stored in the .pfm file. How do I read the
name
of the font from the .pfm file? Or is there something else I need to do?
What
else might I need to know about using PostScript fonts with FreeType?

Thanks.