[Freetype] Tables in Asian fonts

From: Nir Rostoker
Subject: [Freetype] Tables in Asian fonts
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 20:58:49 +0300

Hi !
I have noticed in few Asian True Type fonts (for instance UWKMJF) that there
are mainly 2 tables, which FreeType uses (load them on the creation of the
Face object) and which take huge amount of memory due to the big number of
Glyphs in those kind of fonts (Usually between 10,000 to 25,000
Glyphs/symbols): those tables are the Glyphlocation tables and the vertical
metrics table. For instance, on UWKMJF font those tables take around
35KBytes each(4 Bytes * Num_Of_Glyphs).

I'm not that familiar with Asian fonts, does anyone know if in all common
true type Asian fonts (CJK) this are the main tables (regarding memory) ? In
few fonts I have checked I found those tables to be the main ones (around
80% of the tables by memory when loaded to the Face object).

Thanks,

Nir