Re: [Freetype] FreeType 2 backend for XFree86

From: Juliusz Chroboczek
Subject: Re: [Freetype] FreeType 2 backend for XFree86
Date: 11 Apr 2002 17:06:12 +0100

>> P.S. David, this is 2.0.9, and I'm impressed with the quality of the
>> (non-AA) Type 1 rendering.

DT> Really ? I'm myself rather digusted by it for now ;-)

Right now I can easily compare it to the IBM/Lexmark rasteriser in
identical circumstances.  For well-hinted fonts, FreeType appears
slightly better (which, as far as I know, is a recent development).
There still are slight flaws for triple stems (small m) and at the
attachment of p and b.

I did notice some minor dropouts at small sizes.  On the other hand,
I haven't noticed any irregularities in stem widths, which is
something that irritates me in the IBM/Lexmark rasteriser.

In summary, the quality is now such that I now feel able to argue for
deprecating the use of the IBM/Lexmark rasteriser in XFree86... as
soon as somebody implements CIDFonts in FreeType 2 (which the XFree86
version of the IBM/Lexmark rasteriser sometimes manages to handle).

(The previous sentence should not be taken as an attempt at blackmail,)

DT> Just to say that Type 1 rendering quality is to improve in some distant
DT> future :-)

Good.

                                        Juliusz