[Freetype] Reducing the RAM size

From: Nir Rostoker
Subject: [Freetype] Reducing the RAM size
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 12:02:15 +0300

Hi!

I have noticed that many tables from the font file are loaded to the RAM
when a Face object is created (the charmap table, many metrics and so on)
while other tables like the Glyph ones are loaded only when needed (on the
LoadGlyph() function).

For a relatively small western font (like David) the RAM size of loading the
Face object is around 5KByte and the RAM needed by the GlyphLoad() is around
14K (1K of it
is the memory for storing the bitmap).

Did anyone tried to reduce those numbers ? for instance by loading less data
from the ROM to the RAM and parsing it on the fly ?

Did anyone tried to do it on Asian fonts ? The reason I ask that is that on
Asian fonts the RAM needs become quite problematic ?

I would appreciate any help.....

Thanks,
Nir