Re: [Freetype] discerning encodings in ttf

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] discerning encodings in ttf
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:28:44 +0100

Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:

> TTF can not only provide numerous charsets/encodings, but also specify
> which of them are supposed to be used.

I disagree.

Beside the fact that the informations in the 'OS/2' table are often
incorrect and/or misleading, as Werner pointed out, I cannot see how
you can determine, for example, what encoding you should use to
represent a determinate CJK text (of course, all the encodings are
to be assumed to end up with the same string of glyph ids; but the
specs do not ensure that).

> Windows font property extention is capable of giving this info.
> What would be an analog functionality (set of functions or
> demo/util) in freetype?

A new library named Unitype (which stands a level higher than Freetype 2).
This is a just beginning project, feel free to join it if you have
resources to share with us!

Antoine