Re: [Freetype] Re: ft* and ttf2* commands from Freetype 1, FAQ?

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: ft* and ttf2* commands from Freetype 1, FAQ?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:26:34 +0100

John Murdie wrote:

> This must surely be a FAQ.

You are right you are not the first one asking. I will probably write
something, when time allows...

> (Incidentally, I can't find an FAQ among the
> Freetype web pages; has anyone got one that could be contributed to the
> project?)

www.freetype.org/freetype1/docs/faq/freetype1.txt
www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/ft2faq.html

Your very problem is (badly) explained in a slight phrase in the Intro
page, www.freetype.org/intro.html...

> I've just installed Freetype 2.0.6 on a Linux system, having not
> installed Freetype since 1.3.1, and couldn't see the ft* or the ttf2*
> commands anywhere.

That seems to me quite as expected.
First the easiest: the ttf2* command are not part of Freetype, they
are in fact (various) contributions added to Freetype 1.x, that were
hosted in freetype*.tar.gz because of no better place. As an aside,
they have generally not been ported to Freetype 2, so you should
still use the 1.x library along with the 2.x (as do the major
distros).

Next, about the ft* test programs, since they are only that, test/demo
programs, we cut them from the main archive, mainly because they vary
much less and they will make the weight of the archives much bigger,
particularly since the release are not completely stable.

You can find them in a different release, named ft2demos (ftdmo2xy.zip
for the 8.3 version), normaly at the same place you found the library
itself.

Hope it helps,

Antoine