[Freetype] Re: ft* and ttf2* commands from Freetype 1, FAQ?

From: John Murdie
Subject: [Freetype] Re: ft* and ttf2* commands from Freetype 1, FAQ?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:17:15 +0000 (GMT)

This must surely be a FAQ. (Incidentally, I can't find an FAQ among the
Freetype web pages; has anyone got one that could be contributed to the
project?)

I've just installed Freetype 2.0.6 on a Linux system, having not
installed Freetype since 1.3.1, and couldn't see the ft* or the ttf2*
commands anywhere. The introductory section of the Freetype Project
tells me that the Freetype 2, unlike Freetype 1, is *just* the typeface
rendering library. I think this eminently sensible, but would still like
to be able to install the commands. I've looked into the Freetype
`unstable' directory, and think that some of the materials there might
be what I need. I've also seen a Debian Linux package called
`freetype-tools', and hear that Mandrake Linux has something similar,
but the first looks like a hacked version of freetype-1.3.1 when I
unpack it. Since I want to install on Solaris as well as Linux, Linux-
-packaged distributions won't cut it.

Does anyone have a clean and straightforward means of installing the ft*
and ttf2* commands with Freetype 2.0.6?

--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)