Re: [Freetype] freetype1 vs freetype2 vs freetype [12].*

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Freetype] freetype1 vs freetype2 vs freetype [12].*
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:23:01 +0100

Allan Gottlieb wrote:

> I am a little puzzled over the numbering of freetype.
>
> I have a redhat 7.2 distribution with ximian gnome on top.
>    rpm -qa | grep freetype
> yields
>     freetype-2.0.3-7
>     freetype-devel-2.0.3-7
>     freetype-utils-2.0.3-7
>
> To run Eterm version 9, I need imlib2.
>     rpm -U imlib2-1.0.4-3.i686.rpm
> yields
>     freetype1 is needed by imlib2-1.0.4-3
>
> Finally
>
> Is freetype-2.0.3-7 a version of freetype2

Yes

> and hence superior to freetype1?

No. They are different packages, with different APIs, keeped in
different libraries. There is supposedly no problem to have both
on a system.

[Reordered]
>     rpm -U freetype1-1.3.1-3.i686.rpm
> yields
>     file /usr/bin/ttmkfdir from install of freetype1-1.3.1-3 conflicts
>     with file from package freetype-2.0.3-7

Problem here is that ttmkfdir is *not* part of Freetype 1 (at least,
not at my knowledge). So I assume the package named "freetype1-1.3.1-3"
has been "customized" in some way, and this customization is incompatible
with those for Freetype 2.

Antoine