Re: [Freetype] About FTC_Manager_New

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Freetype] About FTC_Manager_New
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 18:43:18 +0100

Hello WangYi,

 First of all, please don't send HTML e-mail to this list..

> Hi,
>
>   In FT2, the definition of ¡®FTC_Manager_New¡¯ function is:
>
>   FT_EXPORT( FT_Error )  FTC_Manager_New( FT_Library          library,
>                                           FT_UInt             max_faces,
>                                           FT_UInt             max_sizes,
>                                           FT_ULong            max_bytes,
>                                           FTC_Face_Requester  requester,
>                                           FT_Pointer          req_data,
>                                           FTC_Manager        *amanager );
>
>  I want to know what the best numbers of ¡®max_faces¡¯, ¡®max_sizes¡¯ and
> ¡®max_bytes¡¯ are.
>  Please give me a >  suggestion. Thanks.

There are no "best" numbers, since the "optimal" values depend on what you want
to do.
Here are some hints though:

  - "max_bytes" determines the size of the cache "pool" in bytes. The default
must
    be about 200Kb. Increasing this value is a good idea to improve the
performance
    of the cache.

  - don't use high values for "max_faces" and "max_sizes" since this will
    much probably waste memory with very little benefit. I suggest to use
    the default (by specifying 0 for each parameter).

    only change these if the cache performance isn't good enough, even with
    a reasonably large "max_bytes" value..

in all cases, you'll need to tune the values to your specific
environment/application if you want better performance than the default..

Regards,

- David