Re: AW: [Freetype] Installing with Jam

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: AW: [Freetype] Installing with Jam
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:08:11 +0100

Hello,

address@hidden a écrit :

> Don't bother with jam and it's ilk; use a decent, standardised
> make utility, or else GNU make, which is a de facto standard.

Well, well, "Make" and all its variants (including GNU Make) can
be considered harmful to developers (and even *evil*) for many
distinct reasons. I hope that Jam will stabilize quickly (and
especially the Jam variant used by Boost) to be able to completely
obliterate it in a not-so-distant future.. :-)

Until then, we'll need to keep on using the beast.. Bleech..

> But yes, simply copy the libraries to some library directory.
> Make sure that this directory in in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH; usually
> /usr/local/lib can found regardless od this environment variable's
> value.

That's not so simple, because distributions and other projects have
started to do very strange things with FreeType. For example, if
you use a recent version of XFree86 (one with the Render extension),
have a look at /usr/X11R6/lib since there are great chances that
you'll find "libfreetype.6.0.so" here, and that version will likely
be used by "libXft" (providing anti-aliased text rendering in XFree86),
independently of what is in "/usr/lib" or "/usr/local/lib"

As a consequence, I need to use "--prefix=/usr/X11R6" to be able
to use an updated version of the library with Gnome/KDE. Using
"--prefix=/usr/local" or "--prefix=/usr" works (i.e. the library
is installed), but some applications won't see the difference.. !!

I wouldn't be surprised if several versions of the library were
installed on a single machine due to this.. Yes, that's clearly
stupid. I don't know who started this inventive installation
trick.. ??

Regards,

- David