Re: [Freetype] Saving Memory using the ROM - API suggestion

From: Dave Williss
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Saving Memory using the ROM - API suggestion
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:18:11 -0600

Should be fairly easy.  There's a replacement module for file IO that
replaces it with memory-mapped IO (using mmap).  Start with that and
modify it to just point to where the font is in ROM.  (I'm assuming you
have the actual ttf file burned in the ROM).

In fact here's a suggestion for the team:

Would it be possible to add an FT_Open_Face_In_Memory function
that instead of trying to open the font took a pointer to something already
read into memory?

This way reading a font in ROM would just be a simple function call and
you wouldn't have to hack the library source to do it.  It would have
greatly
simplified Mac OSX dfont rendering too, because it leaves the platform-
specific find-the-font-embedded-in-this-file bit up to the caller.
It would be up to the caller to free (if necessary) any memory after they
close the face.  Or perhaps have a way to register a free function that will
get called on close.