Re: Fw: [Freetype] Vector-only output request

From: Just van Rossum
Subject: Re: Fw: [Freetype] Vector-only output request
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 20:08:01 +0200

Adrian & Marnie Kole wrote:

> HI Laurent,

(it seems you're publically replying to a private msg...)

> I looked at the FT_Outline_Decompose function already.  I'm no expert on
> using this library, but I still see no way to get just vectors.  It looks
> like you get line segments and whatever bezier curves or whatever as
> output, with no indication as to which parts of the outline are holes.

I don't think it's available as a public API. There is such functionality
internally in ftgrays.c and ftraster.c, but I don't think it's exposed
for easy reuse. Maybe that stuff isn't even too useful for you, as it's
designed to calculate the minimum amount of vectors needed to get a good
bitmap or pixmap.

So it looks like you'll have to write your own curve_to and conic_to for
use with FT_Outline_Decompose().

About holes: what's "white" and what's "black" depends on the winding
direction of the outline. In general, "holes" wind in the opposite direction
of the "non-holes". With TrueType, outer outlines go clockwise, and counter
shapes go counter-clockwise. With Type1 and CFF it's the other way around
(unless FT "corrects" that, I don't know). The other way of putting it is
that with TT "black" is always on the right side if you follow the outline,
and with T1 on the left.

Just