Re: [Freetype] TrueType glyph names

From: Ian Pilcher
Subject: Re: [Freetype] TrueType glyph names
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 00:31:05 -0500

David Turner wrote:

> What do you mean. You can already extract the TrueType glyph names
> from a standard build of the library (because
> FT_CONFIG_OPTION_POSTSCRIPT_NAMES)
> is defined by default in "ftoption.h".

What I'm worried about is that the library will return what the glyph
name *should* be, rather than the glyph name actually in the font.  A
good example of this is U+20AC.  The correct PostScript name for this
glyph is 'Euro', but all of Microsoft's TrueType fonts have it set to
'u20AC'.  I need to be sure that my application will get 'u20AC',
because I will be generating PostScript that accesses the glyph with the
'glyphshow' operator.

In fact, this does appear to be happening when I call FT_Get_Glyph_Name,
although the comments associated with FT_CONFIG_OPTION_POSTSCRIPT_NAMES
would seem to indicate that it would return 'Euro'.  At this point, I'm
just confused, but hopefully my explanation of my confusion at least
makes sense.

Ian Pilcher                                         address@hidden