[Freetype] Problems with Install of Freetype2 on Solaris 8

From: Brendan Sullivan
Subject: [Freetype] Problems with Install of Freetype2 on Solaris 8
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:11:18 -0800

I am new to Solaris but I have install several other libraries and FreeType2
is the first one to give problems.  I am running Solaris 8.

Here are the steps I am following and the problems.  I am using GNU make as
recommended

Steps:
$ make setup
$ make
$ make install

1)  "$ make setup" up selects cc as the compiler, but I have gcc and other
library builds used gcc.  Tried "$ make setup gcc".  That did not work
either.  I have not figured out how to get it to use gcc.  I have just kept
this config for now.

2) "$ make install" fails for two reasons that I can see and maybe for a
third.  First, unix-def.mk ends up with a path to the install-sh file that
looks something like this

    $HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/./install-sh.

Of course, the "/./" screws things up.  I just hand edit that file to
correct that bug.

Second, even with corrected path, and even if I just type the desired
command at the command prompt, I get "cannot execute install-sh".

Third, there is a "/./" error in the line that the installs libfreetype
file.  I have not figured this one out, it does not present itself easily
like the other case.

This is extracted and prettied up from the output of the "make install"
command.  I have replaced the user part of the path with $HOME.  This is
after I edited the unix-def.mk file.

# make install
$HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/mkinstalldirs /usr/local/lib
        /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/config   \
        /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/internal \
        /usr/local/include/freetype2/freetype/cach     \
        /usr/local/bin

$HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/libtool --mode=install
    $HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/install-sh -c
    $HOME/freetype2/obj/libfreetype.la
    /usr/local/lib

$HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/install-sh -c
    $HOME/freetype2.obj/./libs/libfreetype.so.6.0.1
    /usr/local/lib/libreetype.so.6.0.1

$HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/libtool: $HOME/freetype2/builds/unix/install-sh:
cannot execute
make: *** [install] Error 1

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,