RE: freetype color

From: Boris Letocha
Subject: RE: freetype color
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:30:21 +0100

> > Example:
> > get 256 gray scale pixmap from FT2
> > use this as apha channel for some texture
> > and blend it to screen
> > you will see textured antialiased text - just perfect :-)
>
> on the other hand, it would be a good optimization point to
> provide the means to
> let freetype render directly into a format which is useable
> without crossblitting.
> It is probably too late for such a change, as you are going
> to release FreeType2
> shortly, but I think the renderer would be another good
> candidate for a modular
> structure (or better, the low level output driver).

Ok I didn't say everything :-)

for smooth renderer you can already provide callback to "span draw"
function. In "my" library I do it, so it is possible :-)

for monochrome renderer one pass is not possible due to algorithm is two
phased by nature ;-) - second phase is drop out removal - what does
monochrome renderer unique.

So enhanced example:
provide right span draw function to smooth renderer and let FT do its work
:-)

Boris Letocha

PS: For now (in "my" lib) I simulate monochorome renderer by smooth call
back and values <128 are "white" and >=128 are "black". But it does not do
"correct" small fonts due to "drop out removal" is missing.