Re: Anti-aliased truetype fonts under XFree86 4.0?

From: Anthony Fok
Subject: Re: Anti-aliased truetype fonts under XFree86 4.0?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:02:19 -0600

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 01:18:55PM -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
> I compiled XFree86 4.0 and have configured it to use my
> Windows TrueType fonts.  However, when the fonts are
> rendered, there is no anti-aliasing.  This is, erm...,
> shall we say, less than optimal.

Not FreeType's fault.  X11R6.4 does not yet support anti-aliased font.
The protocol needs to be changed in order for anti-aliased fonts to be
fully supported.  Meanwhile, there are selected few applications that
can render anti-aliased fonts within its own window, but either not
directly through X, or probably they request a glyphs that is 3 or 4
times larger and then downsample them.

There's hope.  There may be changes to the X protocol in the (not too
near) future.  There will also be Berlin which aims to replace X.
We'll see how things turn out.

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
address@hidden, address@hidden    University of Alberta, Canada