Re: Extracting name of font from file...

From: Erwin Dieterich
Subject: Re: Extracting name of font from file...
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:54:14 +0100

I looked into this once: You don't get any faster from only reading the names.
Reason: The thing most time consuming in looking for the font names is opening
and reading the files, because they are stored on the hard disk. Once they are
in the disk cache everthing is very fast. But this is true only the second
time you read the names. In my opinion you need some status bar.

I append my attempts (little C program etc. etc.)

Regards,
 - Erwin

Am Die, 07 Mär 2000 you wrote:
>Another
thing to consider... > >When opening a font with FreeType, it loads a bunch of
stuff, initializes >the hinting >engine, etc. If I just want to extract the
font name to put in a menu or >something, that's