Re: Extracting name of font from file...

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Extracting name of font from file...
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 15:52:33 GMT

> I was wondering if there was a way to extract the name of a font
> from a file with freetype.  I am want to make a search engine for a
> website that I have and I need to extract all of the names of all of
> my fonts.  I am currently using PHP to create the images for my
> fonts so if there are hooks in that then that is perferred.  I don't
> really know C but if that is what I have to use than I will use
> it...

It's a quite complicated thing since you have to consider encoding and
character sets also.  Take a look at Jörg Pommnitz's program called
ttmkfdir, which produces X11-style font names.  I don't have an URL,
sorry.  Maybe you can find a link from here:

 http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jec/programs/xfsft/