Problems linking the freetype library?

From: Djoerd de Fost
Subject: Problems linking the freetype library?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:10:50 +0100

Hi, I hope you can help me out with a problem I have with the gd library (I know, don't stop reading).
I would like to use it to write variable text on top of images and
then put them in a dynamically generated webpage. This works ok if I
don't use its true-type routine (which uses freetype), but as you've guessed already, I
want to use it anyway.
I grabbed and compiled the freetype library on my Mac Os X Server
box and compiled gd to use it. Right, now on
to the problem.

All is fine using gd, until I want to use the gdImageStringTTF
function. Thats when I get a:

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_TT_Char_Index
_TT_Close_Face
_TT_Done_Glyph
_TT_Done_Instance
_TT_Get_CharMap
_TT_Get_CharMap_Count
_TT_Get_CharMap_ID
_TT_Get_Face_Properties
etc....

As a novice, I can't figure out if I made an error compiling the gd
library or the freetype library.

Thanks for any help,