Re: Gnu Make Specifics

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: Gnu Make Specifics
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:53:48 +0100

Satpal Chander wrote:

>    could anyone tell me what the the makefile in freetype2 relies on
> within gnu make to make it function.

David answered.

> If I use anything else

... then you will likely run in many troubles, that are not worth the value.

David choose to standardize the make process around GNU make, because:
  - it make the maintenance (much) easier
  - this tool is now available on virtually every box that will
   support FreeType 2 (exception are '286 PCs. ;-) What else?)
  - it is completely independant of the set of tools used (for
   example, I used it, renamed as GNUMAKE.EXE, to launch MS tools),
   so this does not hurt to specify such a tool

Antoine