Re: ftdump can show the CID registry, ordering, and supplement?

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: ftdump can show the CID registry, ordering, and supplement?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 11:55:32 +0900

Dear Alex,

I agree that bitshift is too complicated. If the glyphs are sorted by
CID, you might not need the temporary storage if you keep track of the
previous CID and some format string tricks. I can work on that later
by adopting the lines 676-707 (if the CIDs are sorted indeed).

Indeed. If GID-CIDs are already sorted, it's easy to dump the
available CIDs in a compressed syntax. Although I have no sample
font including unsorted CIDs, I'm unsure whether it is required
in some specifications.

Anyway, I'm very happy to hear the negative comment on 64kBit array.
I would submit my MR based on 64kByte array, and commit it. I think
freetype-demos has no CI mechanism yet... Right?

Regards,
mpsuzuki

P.S.
Yet I have not checked in detail, Apple's TrueType spec has a "gcid"
table which is a simple array of CID (to be retrieved by a gid). I'm
interested in whether it can be included in a conventional TrueType
using glyf table (instead of OpenType/CFF). Currently, most fonts
supporting CID are PostScript-based fonts (t1cid or cff or OpenType/CFF),
so the glyphs are already sorted by their CIDs. If it is possible to
have a TrueType font including both of glyf and gcid, the glyphs would
be ordered not by CID but by Unicode.

BTW, if the 64kByte array to check CID availability can be
reduced to a 64kBit (= 8kByte for most architecture) array
by a bitshift calculation, is it the way to go?

I agree that bitshift is too complicated. If the glyphs are sorted by
CID, you might not need the temporary storage if you keep track of the
previous CID and some format string tricks. I can work on that later
by adopting the lines 676-707 (if the CIDs are sorted indeed).

Thanks,
Alexei