Re: [ft-devel] GSOC -Project Availability

From: armin
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GSOC -Project Availability
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 15:51:52 +0100

> Hello everyone,

Hi Sadeep

> I looked into the (apparently) the same project which was done by Kushal in
> GSOC 2017. I want to know what are the limitations in his implementation.

Having applied for the same project last year (however I got selected for a
different project), Kushal's approach seems somewhat unfinished and somewhat
difficult to (re)use due to extensive scripting (apart from other things).  I
suggest try to understand what FreeType really does (and what it does not)
first.  Based on that insight, try to find an approach that makes sense for
FreeType and its developers (!).  It must be super easy to use (next to no
manual needed while still being flexible to set up), and produces maximum
useful output.  Basically thinking about the whole thing from the perspective
of the FreeType's developers (almost no one works full time on FreeType!) who
don't want to have to _learn_ how the framework works :)

> Also does this project have a confirmed student?

Afaik such things do not exist here.

> Has anyone applied for this?

I don't know but feel free to apply either way and convince Werner -- the best
students/proposals will be chosen :)

(And no, I could not apply this year ;))

https://www.freetype.org/gsoc.html

> I am willing to do some implementation before the application period is over
> (<48hrs) as a proof of concept.

Go ahead but I think a clever (well thought-through) design (may it be words or
pictures) are probably more convincing than a (small) working prototype.  GSoC
is generally the time for implementing chosen ideas.

Best
Armin