Re: [ft-devel] color framework

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] color framework
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:54:59 -0500

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 8:25 AM Alexei Podtelezhnikov <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > As long as adding FT_LOAD_COLOR will get COLR/CPAL glyphs rendered into the bitmap, cairo/Chrome will work fine and I have no problem with that.
>
>> You started to use unreleased features.
>
> FT_LOAD_COLOR has been FreeType public API since 2013.

FT_LOAD_COLOR used to be a loading flag only.

And cairo only uses it that way.

It is wrong to use
FT_LOAD_COLOR in FT_Render_Glyph. There is a way to properly pass all
necessary information.to that function.

I understand your desire to encode all info into FT_Outline; but given how much glyphslot is tied to face, I don't think it's a big deal to require face and load layers at render time.

The choice is between a hack and a proper implementation.

Not really.  It's not like glyphslot and face can be used separately.  That's, in fact, the biggest problem with FreeType API: that one cannot use FT_Face from multiple threads at the same time, because all uses of it use the embedded glyphslot.

Which is it, Werner?

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/