emacs-tangents

Re: Blog post

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Blog post
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 19:01:59 +0200

> Cc: Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com>, Emacs-tangents@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 17:20:56 +0100
> From:  Christopher Dimech via Emacs news and miscellaneous discussions
> outside the scope of other
>  Emacs mailing lists <emacs-tangents@gnu.org>
>
> I put the emphasis on the maintainers themselves to eliminate chaos within
> their project.  The latter could be the specific area where our opinions
> differ.
> Users typically focus upon specific details, whereas software designers focus
> on
> making everything work well together.  From my experience, being a maintainer
> requires
> a higher level of concentration and control of the external.

It is quite clear to me from what you wrote above that your mental
model and vision of maintainership of a project like Emacs are very
different from the reality, starting from what does it mean to be a
maintainer of such a project and what is its job description.

Given that, your criticism is mostly off-mark.