Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Package suggestion: yeetube

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] Package suggestion: yeetube
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:50:23 +0000

Thanos Apollo <public@thanosapollo.com> writes:

>> - Is there anything more needed to add support for Individuous
>>   instances?  See: https://invidious.io/
>
> I had an option to use a user specified instance until this commit
> https://git.thanosapollo.com/yeetube/commit/?id=5e3c2928b2c626cccede4284a3dc022f79f333e2
> ~7 days ago
>
> I remove it for the following reasons:
> - Scraping a website that displays scraped content from youtube
>   seems pointless, since it's quite simple to parse youtube's json
>   & html (without using non-free js)

The point is that it wouldn't tell the Google servers about your
activities.

> - Invidious has faced legal pressure recently
>   https://github.com/iv-org/invidious/issues/3872 and I don't feel
>   it's needed to bring this to an emacs package

IANAL, but I think the risk should be minimal as we wouldn't be the ones
talking directly to YouTube's servers.

> - Depending on an external invidious instance is not ideal, nor
>   the projects goal.
> - Maintaining both youtube & invidious scraping functionality is
>   not ideal either.

Fair enough.

>> - Any chance you could add an option like `vc-tor'?
>
> Sure, I didn't know about it, if anyone can send me some tips on
> how to implement it or a patch I could work on it

Basically, you just need to add "torsocks" to the command "yt-dl ...",
so it becomes "torsocks yt-dl ...".