Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB

From: Bryan J. Smith <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: creating an iso from bz2 file 3.5 GB
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:54:23 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

From: Bill Davidsen <address@hidden>
> But the compression is much better in most cases compressing the tar
> than the individual files. You could make the point that the compressed
> tar could be written directly to the DVD without playing with a
> filesystem type. In some cases the data might not fit other than as a
> compressed tar.
> There are reasons for doing the compressed tar thing.

And I will re-iterate that an additional 3-5% efficiency in storage is not
a valid argument to drastically reduce recoverability.

Besides, if you use an archiver that does per-file compression inside of
its archive -- like afio -- it's pretty much just as efficient.  Furthermore,
unlike GNU Tar (but like Jorg's Star), Afio _does_ offer self-splitting into
independent volumes.

All at the same time, unlike GNU Tar, afio is System V cpio compatible
(as long as the individual volumes are under 2GB).  GNU Tar does a
lot of things that can get you into trouble (at least through 1.13).

--
Bryan J. Smith   mailto:address@hidden