Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Comapatble drive (hardware list) list?

From: André Dalle
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Comapatble drive (hardware list) list?
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:52:11 -0500

I can say that the Pioneer DVR-A04 works very well with dvdrecord.

It supports DVD-R at 2X and DVD-RW at 1X, although all my media is 1X so
I've never burned at 2X under Linux.

I use it daily, although I found you have to get the latest mkisofs from
cdrtools to build dvd-video iso images.

I use 'dd' to image discs: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=disc.iso

Also, I had to use the ide-scsi emulation in Linux - I believe the docs that
come with dvdrtools mention this in detail.

I originally used my A04 with Prassi PrimoDVD 2.0 under Windows XP, and I've
found dvdrtools to be just as reliable (no coasters yet on either platform).

I should mention I have one problem with mkisofs - it rejects files larger than
2GB in UDF images.  I can have several 1.9GB files in a single image but it
rejects
individual large files.

Currently, I still use Prassi PrimoDVD to create track images with large files,
but
do all my writing under Linux.

I use unlabelled Princo DVD-R/DVD-RW media spindles from shop4tech.com.