[Dvdrtools-users] support status for Sony DRU-500A?

From: Eric Webb
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] support status for Sony DRU-500A?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:34:42 +0000

Has anyone had any luck with the new Sony DRU-500A under linux yet?  A couple
searches found occaisional problems with burning certain kinds of DVD media,
but found that switching to other types worked ok.

The issue of concern for me now is burning CD-R's and CD-RW's.  I was in the
process of burning VCD's of home video for relatives... (Kino/DVGrab ->
mjpegtools -> vcdimager -> cdrdao and cdrecord-ProDVD).  I'm kinda new to
this and not yet familiar with all the tools (they seem to come and go like
the wind), so please help me along.

Using the -blank=disc option results in:
   ./cdrecord-ProDVD: OPC failed.
   ./cdrecord-ProDVD: Input/output error. blank unit: scsi sendcmd: no error

Attempting to burn material produces this error:
   ./cdrecord-ProDVD: Input/output error. send opc: scsi sendcmd: no error
   ./cdrecord-ProDVD: OPC failed.

Blanking with cdrdao reports:
    Blanking disk...
    ?: Input/output error.  : scsi sendcmd: no error

Writing with cdrdao reports:
    Executing power calibration...
    ?: Input/output error.  : scsi sendcmd: no error

Slack 8.1 (Kernel 2.4.18)
cdrecord-prodvd 1.11a40
cdrecord 1.11a24
cdrdao 1.1.5
DRU-500A is at 1.0c firmware (I know, not the latest)

-E.