Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: [ Dvdrtools ] GUI question.

From: Danny Sauer
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: [ Dvdrtools ] GUI question.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:35:07 -0600

Ken wrote regarding '[Dvdrtools-users] Re: [ Dvdrtools ] GUI question.' on Thu,
Oct 31 at 08:12:
> 2. What's everyone doing to automate their backup--> DVD-R/RW processes?
>
> (I'm using rsync via ssh and perl glue.)

I'm doing pretty much the same thing.  All the machines are in one building.
They tar up their contents into managable chunks and store them on the backup
machine using the rmt daemon (it's secured with iptables internally, so it's
not the big security hole that it could be).  Then the backup server creates
ISO images with those tar files, rsyncs the ISOs to an off-site machine over
ssh (as a secondary backup in case the building burns down), and then burns
dvds of the images.

I suppose that I should add a step involving mounting the image as a loop
device and verifying that the contents are the same as the source tarballs,
too, but that'd be extra work. :)

--Danny