Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: [ Dvdrtools ] GUI question.

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: [ Dvdrtools ] GUI question.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 12:27:31 -0500 (EST)

Quoting "Ken Decoteau (System Manager: GFDI)" <address@hidden>:
> 2. What's everyone doing to automate their backup--> DVD-R/RW
> processes?
> (I'm using rsync via ssh and perl glue.)

I have users create their own ISO images onto a server share (via NFS mount)
with a script I wrote called "back2cd".  It was featured in the April 2002 issue
of SysAdmin magazine ... "CD Backups with Easy File Access":
  http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2002/0204/

You can find the script here:
  http://www.smithconcepts.com/files/scripts/back2cd/back2cd.tcsh

Make sure you edit the very top of the script and customize for your site.

I was working on a manual here, but haven't had time to finish it.  It currently
only covers the "design" of "back2cd" and how it is different.  But it's still a
good read.
  http://www.smithconcepts.com/files/scripts/back2cd/back2cd_manual.pdf

A newer version I'm working on a newer version that adds a local/user
"~/.back2cd" config file and can by-pass ISO file creation (e.g., for going
directly to a packet write device like DVD-RAM or removable magnetic disk).

I'm also writing an universal archive/backup/copy library ("libcrap") and
associated utility ("crap") that does per-file compression.  "CRAP" stands for
"[copy] compressed recursive [and] attributes program" and a play off of "copy
(cp)" -> "c[ra]p."  It is designed as a syntax compatible replacement for "cp"
as well as "mkisofs", "cpio/afio" and a few others via symlink.  It can create
both "cpio" and "[s]tar" compatible files with per-file compression (like afio
for just cpio), as well as cpio's "pass through" (which afio does not allow with
compression), possibly "pax" in the future, and it has a "new format" that is
far more reliable.  This new format allows you to span media _but_ makes each
volume in a set standalone (i.e. each volume has its own directory).  This
format combines the advantages of cpio/tar/pax "streaming" recovery with quick
pkzip-like "indexing" (i.e. it uses the "directory" first, but then falls back
to the "streamed" blocking for recovery in the case of errors) -- on a
per-volume basis.  The "disadvantage" of the format is you must know the native
(uncompressed) size of the media output -- although that's _before_ compression
(as it figures the size after compression automatically, because it handles the
compression for you).

"CRAP" is still in very early in development, and work/certifications have been
sucking up my time as of late.

-- Bryan

P.S.  I do _not_ recommend using any Magneto Optical (MO) media other than
DVD-RAM (which does verification).  Rewritable MO media is 10,000x less reliable
than record dye-burn media -- and you can expect to have read/write errors (even
on the initial write!) and general media lifespan issues as well.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA