[Dvdrtools-users] dozens of hours of audio on DVD

From: Scott Prive
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] dozens of hours of audio on DVD
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:08:44 -0400

Oh, OK, we were talking about two different things. What you say makes sense to
me now. :-)

On the mp3 subject, I do not think there are ANY standalone DVD players that
support playing MP3's off of a DVD recordable. Plenty of players support mp3 on
CD, and other content (video) on recordables, but not mp3-on-dvd.

This is the case with my new (introduced Q2 2002) Samsung DVD-621 five-disc
changer. It's a pity, because with 24 GB of music in the player, I would not
often need to change discs for music!

There was a Slashdot story this week about a new Sony player that did mp3's off
DVD... but it doesn't seem to be a Video player when it is "standalone" (it
relies on software movie decoding when hooked up to a PC). This information
could be wrong as the information wasn't clear.

Since you are interested in DVD music discs, here's my brain dump and some
extra info for the list archives::

I've made some "audio only" DVD-Video discs (using a still for video track),
and hours of 2-channel AC3 encoded audio. The audio quality seems "perfect" at
a CBR of 224/48Khz. I created 6 "alternate" soundtracks to the copyright-free
classic movie Metropolis... about 12 hours of music is not bad considering
there's a 2-hour video track.

BTW, Metropolis is *fantastic* using Nine Inch Nails' "The Fragile" as the
soundtrack. The audio almost seems choreographed to the movie, with matching
transitions and changes in the mood.

Converting music to audio suitable for DVD-Video format is a labor intensive
process of:

1) .m3u playlist converted to a single .WAV track (or rip your CD to a single
WAV - not file-per-song)
2) Encode the WAV as AC3 (or MPEG2 audio)
3) Import .resulting audio to DVD authoring program
4) Optionally set chapter points (copy the timecode from the .m3u playlist).
It's up to you if you want a chapter-per-album or a chapter-per-song. You can
only set up to 99 chapters per Video Title Stream (VTS), so you will need to
create multiple VTS tracks.

Info) Some -- all?? --  DVD players support "random play" within a DVD Video
disc, so it will bounce around between the chapters on a single disc. This
differs from normal CD-audio changers, where random play will jump between
discs. The side effect is your "complication DVD discs" will play in their
entirety (random or not) before going to the next disc, so balancing the
content (your musical preferences) is critical with DVD audio. You don't want
to put all your Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin on a single disc, if you don't
*want* to listen to every single one of them at once...

The audio quality of 2ch AC3 vs. MP3 at the same bitrates is not noticeable.
But as you can see above, it's a LOT more work to create 5 gigs of DVD audio,
compared to the convenience of recording 5 gigs of plain-old MP3s.

I'm not aware of any AC3 encoders for Linux -- I use BeSweet on Windows, which
is free-as-in-beer. I am not aware of any Linux DVD authoring tools that allow
chapter points either. I don't know if any Linux C coders have approached the
authors of the "freeware" tools BeSweet or IFOEDIT regarding a port, but these
are missing pieces of the DVD Video toolchain which are key (IFOEDIT is not yet
a full blown authoring tool but that is the author's stated goal).

I might automate this MP3-->AC3 & chapter point process once work slows down.
Except for the final authoring, everything can be done with Perl code as glue
(on Windows... as mentioned, the BeSweet AC3 encoder isn't ported to Linux).

Cheers,
Scott