RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Sony DRU-500A DVD-RW - command sequence error

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Sony DRU-500A DVD-RW - command sequence error
Date: 24 Oct 2002 10:51:33 -0400

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 09:59, Scott Prive wrote:
> All reports seem to be that DVD+RW/+R is less compatible than DVD-R --
> and I'm convinced of this myself -- but before you conclude the format
> cannot be read, you might want to test some more.
> Two tests I can think of:
> 1) Do a 1:1 disk copy of something that plays on your DVD player.
> 2) Author again to DVD+R. On EITHER side of the DVD "format war",
> the write-once media have higher compatibility.
> Hope this helps,

Just want to point out all my statements on DVD+RW/+R are _heresay_,
since I've heard them second hand.

I'm also biased because I saw some of my colleagues in Japan get burned
with the previous generation 3G Sony/Philips DVD-R+W (or whatever they
called it), and then people here with the Gen1 DVD+RW drives that didn't
do DVD+R.

I'm trying to confirm that DVD+R actually uses a variation of MO (like
CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW) instead of a burn/dye-based technology (like CD-R
and DVD-R).  That too is also heresay to this point with me.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA