RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Can dvdrtools burn DVD-A discs

From: Scott Prive
Subject: RE: [Dvdrtools-users] Can dvdrtools burn DVD-A discs
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:10:22 -0400

Martin,

dvdrtools burns files (or disc images) to disc. That's all it is designed to do.

If you have OTHER tools to master DVD-Audio, AND dvdrtools supports your
burner, then dvdrtools should burn the mastered image or file directories to
disc.

Example: If you have DVD-authoring tools which create a DVD-compliant master,
you can then burn that "data" to disk. The same thing with DVD-Audio.

I know some things about DVD-Video, which is a *different* format. I doubt
there are any free software tools for creating DVD-Audio. There might be
commercial DVD-Audio encoders on Linux; I am not sure.

There ARE tools for creating DVD-Video on Linux: see
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue83/stoddard.html

I've created DVD-Video discs that ONLY contain audio, but this is not the same
thing as you want. DVD-Video uses 48KHz, 16-bit audio and I do not think
DVD-Video offers higher sampling rates. Still, this may or may not be a
workaround for you.

-Scott