[Dvdrtools-users] Re: Re: DVD-RW -- NT doesn't include UDF filesystem su

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: Re: DVD-RW -- NT doesn't include UDF filesystem support
Date: 04 Oct 2002 08:26:48 -0400

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 08:15, Darren Parker wrote:
> Hi Brian,
> Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated!
> I am just trying out the UDF RO driver you specified below.
> Will update you with how I get on.

Just remember:

  Operation       Record
  Common Name     Burn
  Media           CD-R/ROM, DVD-R/ROM
  Filesystem      ISO9660 (readable by all recent OSes)

  Operation       Packet Write
  Common Name     Rewrite
  Media           CD-RW, DVD-RAM/RW/+RW
  Filesystem      UDF (readable by Linux, WinME and WinXP)

Now understand you might have some incompatibility with DVD-RW/+RW
"rewrite" media when used in various DVD-ROM drives (estimated 70-75%
compatibility rate).  DVD-RAM is only compatible with its own drives
(long story, has to do with its advanced features more for archiving,
than consumer use).

That's why DVD-R/+R "record" media (haven't verified +R yet though) is
recommended for near-100% compatibility.

First generation DVD-ROM drives sometimes have trouble reading even
DVD-R, let alone forget DVD-RW/+RW.

That was the #1 reason I bought a DVD-RAM instead of a DVD-ROM drive
back in 1998 -- it reads _everything_ (even DVD-RW/+RW which came out
later).  It's like having blood type AB -- can take anyone else's, but
can only give to itself.

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.            Contact Info:  http://thebs.org
A+/i-Net+/Linux+/Network+/Server+ CCNA CIWA CNA SCSA/SCWSE/SCNA