[Duplicity-talk] file selection behavior

From: Jordan Rosenthal
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] file selection behavior
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2018 15:44:08 -0400

Hi,

I have a file selection question.

Suppose I have a directory in which most of the files in change rarely, but one changes daily.  A simple example would look like the following:

/top/sub/rarelychanges1.txt

/top/sub/rarelychanges2.txt

/top/sub/rarelychanges3.txt

/top/sub/changesdaily.txt

I would like to back up all the files in /top/sub except changesdaily.txt so I create a filelist with rules that look like:

-/top/sub/changesdaily.txt
+/top/sub

This criteria works as intended, but has one unexpected behavior. Because the modification time property on the directory /top/sub changes whenever the file /top/sub/changesdialy.txt changes, every incremental snapshot I make includes an entry for /top/sub to capture the directory property change.

I understand why one would want this behavior in general, but I do not care about the modification time change and would like to avoid including this in the snapshot.  On my system, this would prevent the creation of excessive (daily) "duplicity-new-signatures.*.sigtar.gz" files that do not contain content changes I care about.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks,

Jordan