Re: [Duplicity-talk] Asynchronous upload and par2 creation ?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Asynchronous upload and par2 creation ?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 12:32:09 +0200

On 12.10.2018 12:27, Florent B wrote:
> On 12/10/2018 11:45, address@hidden wrote:
>>
>> no, it isn't. the par2 backend currently merely wraps put/get and runs par2
>> in addition to the underlying backend operations. you can check here
>>
>> https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.7-series/view/head:/duplicity/backends/par2backend.py
>>
>> it's not asynchronous in any way.. sorry ede/duply.net
>
> Thank you for your answer. OK par2 is not asynchronous, but does upload
> is in this case ?

it should, see

https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.7-series/view/head:/bin/duplicity#L418

but it's not completely unsynced as the man page states (we should probably
remove EXPERIMENTAL)
"
--asynchronous-upload
(EXPERIMENTAL) Perform file uploads asynchronously in the background, with
respect to volume creation. This means that duplicity can upload a volume
while, at the same time, preparing the next volume for upload. The intended
end-result is a faster backup, because the local CPU and your bandwidth can be
more consistently utilized. Use of this option implies additional need for disk
space in the temporary storage location; rather than needing to store only one
volume at a time, enough storage space is required to store two volumes.
"

..ede/duply.net