Re: [Pnet-developers] ScrollBar suggestions

From: j_post
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] ScrollBar suggestions
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:43:49 -0700

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 09:09 pm, Rich Baumann wrote:

> OK, that's b/c there's only one timer-based method used for each
> auto-update. Adding a second timer and method that is called on the

Don't need a second timer, just a delay in the one and only timer. I have
that working now.

> Yes, left/right vs. up/down should be handled, based on the value of the
> "vertical" field, in the OnKey* methods.

Ok, done.

> The same changes may need to be
> made for pgup/pgdown too.

There are no pgleft/pgright keys (at least on my keyboard ;-), so I think
that should be left as is.

> I don't see how that's compatible with the windows behavior. As far as I
> can recall, clicking on the track makes large scroll jumps until the
> scroll bar reaches the end of the track or the mouse button is released,
> and the scroll bar is not "grabbed" by the mouse as it passes under the
> pointer.

It varies by program. NEdit, for example, continues to the end, MS Word stops
at the location of the mouse pointer. IMHO, MS Word behavior is more
intuitive, and therefore more rational. I have no way of testing in .Net, so
I don't know what it does.

> I'm busy with pnetC at the moment, so go ahead and fix whatever needs
> fixing, but please check what you're doing against the windows behavior
> to make sure you don't create inconsistencies. Our winforms needs to
> behave the same as the MS one does.

I have everything working except for a minor glitch in "grabbing" the mouse
as it passes under the pointer. It stops correctly, but if the user then
clicks on the up/down/left/right boxes at the ends of the scrollbar, there
will sometimes be an unexpected jump in the position. I expect to have that
fixed by tomorrow. As to whether this is consistent with windows .Net
behavior, I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me since I have no way
to check. If it's not consistent, then it should be abandoned and I can
submit a patch any time.

Jeff