Re: [Pnet-developers] SSL/TLS support in pnetlib

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] SSL/TLS support in pnetlib
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 13:36:08 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> I've added a new assembly to pnetlib CVS called "DotGNU.SSL".  This is a
> PInvoke wrapper around the OpenSSL library, intended mainly for use in
> implementing https within the "System.Net" namespace.  But it can also be
> used by other C# DotGNU components that need SSL/TLS functionality.

I have just committed the SSL support into HttpWebRequest ... and tested
it by downloading a page from https://secure.symonds.net/ which means we're
cool !.

I hope I implemented it right ... ie a Session is constructed globally ,
which I hope is not wrong ?. This session is destroyed only when we
close down the VM because the object containing the Session is held
in a static field. Should I generate a new session per hostname ?.

Also I do think we should put some sort of #if #endif around it to
trim it down ... what should be the condition ?

> The code is in "pnetlib/DotGNU.SSL", with an example program in
> "pnetlib/samples/sslfetch.cs".

Very similarly , I only had to replace part of the HttpStream class to
use an underlying stream ie either a NetworkStream or a stream from the
SSL handshake.

Gopal