[DotGNU]New project announcement - libjit

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]New project announcement - libjit
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:19:22 +1000

Hi all,

While on sabbatical from pnet, I've been coding feverishly on a new project
under the DotGNU banner called "libjit" (and you thought that I was taking
things easy :-) ).

The libjit library implements Just-In-Time compilation functionality. Unlike
other JIT's, this one is designed to be independent of any particular virtual
machine bytecode format or language. The hope is that Free Software projects
can get a leg-up on proprietry VM vendors by using this library rather than
spending large amounts of time writing their own JIT from scratch.

This JIT is also designed to be portable to multiple archictures. If you run
libjit on a machine for which a native code generator is not yet available,
then libjit will fall back to interpreting the code. This way, you don't need
to write your own interpreter for your bytecode format if you don't want to.

The development page on my Web site is now live, with a preliminary version
that you can download and play with.  I'm still about a week or two away from
running real code, but wanted to release this early look so that people can
start helping out with new backends, optimizers, and any other cool ideas
that you can think of.

    http://www.southern-storm.com.au/libjit.html