RE: [DotGNU]The DotGNU FIXIT at LCA2004

From: Eric Butler
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]The DotGNU FIXIT at LCA2004
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:51:49 -0800

If you look through the past IRC logs, I was part of a discussion about
updating the website. I made several suggestions directly related to what
you mentioned in this email, all of which were almost instantly shot down.

As I recall, my suggestions were:

- Don't put all the news on the main page
  End users don't care when things happened, they just want to know about
it.
  All information listed under news, such as pnet running on the PS2 should
have it's own page on the website with an explination, screenshots, an
explination reguarding how it was done, and someone to contact for more
information

- Mention .NET on the main page!
  The only time microsoft is mentioned on the main page (aside from some
news stories) is in a sentence bashing the company and promoting freedom of
software. While free software is great, the end user and most windows
developers are going to care a lot more about the words "A Cross-Platform
.NET Development Platform" than a phylosohy lession. In addition to that,
the main page should have a downlod link in plain view, as well as getting
started documents and tutorials like you mentioned in your email.

- An easy to understand page (for windows developers, not unix kernel
hackers) explaining which namespaces work, an example on how to test/use
them, screenshots, contact information, etc. While the Library Status page
may offer this information, its not in a very usable form (What's the
difference between TODO and Missing?), and does not say if someone is
already working on that class that a developer could coordinate with to
finish the class.

- Re-structure the navigation
  The navigation needs to be seporated into two groups, "Users" and
"Developers". For example, searching for the word "Download" when viewing
the main page returns only parts of words in news articles. There are
certain words that users are going to look for that I can think of right
now; "What is <BLANK>?", "Downloads", "Screenshots", "Help".

Having a page that explains in plain english, with easy to under stand
examples (such as mentioning similar more well-known projects) what each
aspect of DotGNU does is essential in my opinion, since I still have no idea
how to use this DGEE thing. As a developer, "The DotGNU Execution
Environment is an application framework for managing the execution of
Webservices for the  DotGNU system.", tells me absolutly nothing. What
languages do I write these web services in? Does this require a web server?
What about ASP.Net? etc.

- Don't use BugZilla!
  While I don't see BugZilla on the site currently, for some reason it seems
to be the instant choice that open-source projects pick for bug tracking.
BugZilla is an end user nightmare. It's user interface is as far away from
friendly as possible. This is instantly apparent in the number of duplicate
bugs on any given project, since it's such a pain to search for an existing
bug.

- A new layout & color scheme
  It could use some work.

I don't mean to insult anybody's work at all, I'm just throwing out a list
of ideas that I think would benefit the project. I honestly think that if
DotGnu is able to make their website an effective resource for Windows .NET
developers, we will start to see a lot more people using it. I certainly
look forward to having Linux and OSX releases of the software I am currently
developing. I really appreceate all the hard work everyone has put into
dotgnu, and look forward to seeing how the project progreses in the near
future.

I look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts on all this.

Regards,

Eric Butler