RE: [DotGNU] the .NET API patent issue

From: José Ignacio Merino Martín
Subject: RE: [DotGNU] the .NET API patent issue
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:13:18 +0200

The code doesn't matter. In US you can patent an algorithm, or a prime
number (it's true, there's a prime number patented for an encriptation
algorithm and no one can use it without pay), or the "one click buy" of
Amazon, of the gif format, ...

I don't know what is patented by Microsoft in his .NET. If the concept
of Assemblies or the CLR or the MSIL file format has been patented,
there's nothing to do inside the US. Even if no one line of your code
agrees with the microsoft code, you are infringing the patent law.

The RSA algorith is different. In US you can't patent your invent if you
publish it. In UE, you have a period of grace of 2 month between the
publish and the patent. RSA algorith was publish before had been patent.

And in the rest of the world, people can use the RSA algorith. Only in
US exits export restrictions about the products that use that algorithm.

In http://swpat.ffii.org, you can find information about the situation
of patent law in EU.