RE: [DotGNU]Re: the .NET API patent issue

From: Neil Cawse
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Re: the .NET API patent issue
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 07:32:32 -0400

Thanks Norbert,

> We have obtained legal advice on how to go about creating legally
> bulletproof alternatives to the US-patent-endangered APIs.

Would this include System.Windows.Forms, System.Drawing, System.XML
etc.? Is any of our existing work at risk?

In a
> nutshell, the design part has to be outside the US (and whoever
> does it should never take the fruit of this work with him into the
> US), however the FSF patent lawyer says that implementing those
> replacement APIs in terms of already-exiting free libs will be
> "entirely safe", even for developers in the US.

This probably requires more detail - would this apply to our situation?

> If you are outside the US, and you feel able and qualified to
> volunteer for API design work, please send a (non-public) email
> message to
>
>   coreteam at dotgnu dot org
>
> so that we can discuss the details.

Does this restriction apply to Canada? What is the implication to work
already done and contribution that has already happened by us citizens?

Neil