Re: [DotGNU]Running mono-compiled/non-verifiable apps

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Running mono-compiled/non-verifiable apps
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:25:31 +1000

On Tuesday 25 February 2003 08:26 pm, Marcus wrote:
> Is there a way to force ilrun to non-verifiable IL? Currently, the Mono C#
> Compiler (mcs) produces non-verifiable code due to defects in their
> Reflection.Emit. Is there a way to force ilrun to code such code, skipping
> verification? (The Mono people claim that .NET will run their
> non-verifiable apps like mcs.exe.)

Not really.  The verifier in Portable.NET is intricately tied into the CVM
translation system.  Type checking must be done so that the translator knows
what kind of CVM bytecodes to emit.  Turning off the verifier would basically
turn off the interpreter also.

Since .NET apparently runs the code, we should look into why pnet rejects the
binary.  It may be a bug in pnet, or it may be something like the recent enum
issues - technically a spec violation, but simple enough to work around.  We
shouldn't jump to the conclusion that because pnet rejects it that it must be
due to Mono defects.

Do you have a simple test case of an mcs-produced binary that exhibits the
problem?  If you do, I can look into why the binary is rejected.