Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 22 Feb 2003

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 22 Feb 2003
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:22:24 +1000

On Saturday 22 February 2003 05:04 pm, Marcus wrote:
> I don't quite understand the discussion about the organization of these
> generics. Hasn't M$ already specified this?

If they have, then I can't find it (it isn't in the current version of the
ECMA specification).  Pointers are welcome if you have them.

The Gyro code contains some samples that demonstrate building generic
collection classes, but they have about three different styles of
collections, all incompatible.  None of them are part of the standard class
library that comes with Gyro - the class library is fully non-generic.

I will ping my meagre ECMA contacts to see what the status is, but I suspect
it is "not any time soon".

We still need something to use ourselves anyway - it won't be a big burden for
us to ship "Generics.dll" or whatever with our own applications if MS chooses
a different path.  We should be able to quickly adapt to a new style anyway.