Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 22 Feb 2003

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Portable.NET Status 22 Feb 2003
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:35:48 +1000

On Saturday 22 February 2003 01:30 pm, Thong \(Tum\) Nguyen wrote:
> Hi Rhys,
>
> I would like to help out with this one.
>
> Can we model it after the Java2 collections classes rather than the .NET
> ones?

Possibly.  I started with the C# collections, primarily because they were
familar to me and other C# programmers.  But the reason why I'm opening this
up now is so that we can discuss what the generic classes need to look like.
All options are on the table.

> We can have ADTs like IStack, IQueue, IMap, IList with concrete
> implementations like ArrayStack, LinkedStack, ArrayQueue, LinkedQueue,
> HashMap, TreeMap etc etc.
>
> System.Collections makes a mistake in that Stack and Queue are concrete
> class rather than interfaces.  This makes it hard to replace the
> underlying implementations of the ADTs.

Well spotted.  Yes, that is a problem with the current C# collections.  Do you
want to look into these, or at least give me a pointer to them?

No matter what we do, we should have "Adapter" classes that can be used to
bridge the gap with the existing non-generic collection classes in C#.  There
are a lot of existing API's that expect ICollection, IEnumerable, etc.