Re: [DotGNU]Generic IL Examples

From: Fergus Henderson
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Generic IL Examples
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:45:30 +1100

On 19-Feb-2003, Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 05:05 pm, Fergus Henderson wrote:
>
> > I was thinking
> >
> >       callvirt void class Stack<!V>::Push(!V)
> >       callvirt void class Stack<!T>::Push(!T)
> >
> > i.e. keep the "!" and "!!" prefixes, but just use names instead of numbers.
> > [...]
> > So another possibility would be to use a slightly different syntax for
> > names that refer to classes other than the current scope.  For example,
> > perhaps those could use "~V" rather than "!V".
> >
> > Then it would be
> >
> >       callvirt void class Stack<!V>::Push(~V)
> >       callvirt void class Stack<!T>::Push(~T)
>
> I'm loath to break compatibility with Gyro at this stage,

Oh, definitely the Gyro numerical syntax should be supported as well.
What I was suggesting was just an extension to allow the use of names
as well.  But I understand your reluctance to introduce too much new
syntax.

> but there may still be something simple that we can do.  Perhaps a compromise?
>
>        callvirt void class Stack<!V>::Push(!0)
>        callvirt void class Stack<!T>::Push(!0)

That would certainly be a lot better than not allowing names at all.

--
Fergus Henderson <address@hidden>  |  "I have always known that the pursuit