Re: [DotGNU]Re: microsoft patents

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: microsoft patents
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:37:48 +1000

On Thursday 13 February 2003 03:37 am, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:
> David's points on RAND are quite correct.  For the patent to be
> implementable in GPL'ed Free Software, it has to be licensed under a RF
> license without any field of use restrictions.

I know, which is why I'm continuing to chase up what RAND means in this
context.  I'm on the case, and will hopefully have a good picture of how this
application may or may not affect us in a few days.

In the meantime, it should be situation normal - keep hacking on DotGNU.

> Rhys, do you have any information if they are also pursuing the patent
> application in Australia?

Not yet, but there are various patent cross-recognition treaties between the
US and Australia, and the Australian government's willingness to roll over on
IP issues when trying to get access to US food and resource markets (the US
has already raised IP "normalization" as a bargaining chip in free trade
talks and our government will probably just say "ok").

I have to take the paranoid position of assuming that a US patent will turn
into an Australian one in short order.  So, we have to find a way around this
at the US level.