[DotGNU]Re: microsoft patents

From: David Sugar
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: microsoft patents
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:48:15 -0500

RAND is actually descriminatory to a certain level.  What happens with RAND
("Reasonable" and Non-Descriminitory) is simply that the vendor using RAND
cannot selectivily refuse to license to other members, vendors, entities,
etc.  Hence, Microsoft could not selectivily choose not to license it's
patents involved in the EMCA body to Sun, for example, but it could still
certainly charge Sun so long as it charged others on the same basis and what
it charged was considered "reasonable".  Reasonable, however, is not in terms
of what may reasonable for the all party parties which may be effected by
such a patent.  It is I believe judged from average or common practice.
Hence, while charging anything may not be reasonable to a free software
author specifically, it may be construed as reasonable in that broader
context precisely to do this even though the effect is actually
descriminitory.

This is precisely why we fought so hard to have Royalty Free rather than RAND
as a requirement for participation in W3C standards.