[DotGNU]Portability update

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Portability update
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:24:53 +1000

More on the portability front.  Here is the latest:

    i386 - ilrun: ok, cscc: ok, pnetmark: ok, pnetlib: ok
    ia64 - ilrun: ok, cscc: problems, pnetmark: ok, pnetlib: can't build
    alpha - ilrun: ok, cscc: problems, pnetmark: ok, pnetlib: can't build
    s390 - ilrun: ok, cscc: ok, pnetmark: ok, pnetlib: some test case failures
    arm - ilrun: ok, cscc: problems, pnetmark: all except Float
    parisc/hppa - ilrun: ok, cscc: problems, pnetmark: all except Float
    ppc - I don't have access to a test environment
    sparc - I don't have access to a test environment

Quite a few platforms have compiler problems, meaning that pnetlib cannot be
built with cscc on those platforms - the compiler either crashes or locks up
during the ilasm pass.  So I have to test with a set of assemblies that were
compiled elsewhere.  I'm investigating.

Some platforms crash on the Float test.  More investigation is required to
figure out why.

parisc/hppa: works with Debian Linux, but not hpux.  I've pretty much given up
on hpux for the time being.  The hp C compiler and associated toolchain is
hopeless.

Some really good news: ilrun now works on an iPaq!

In summary though, we are looking pretty good.  Most of the 32-bit vs 64-bit
issues have been resolved, and when problems crop up now they are normally
one-liners to fix.