Re: [DotGNU]A webservice game project ((TODO))

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]A webservice game project ((TODO))
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 19:01:26 +0100

Ian Fung wrote:

> as for the bit about being original, i have no problems with it and
> normally i would embrace the idea. with something like a game with the
> goals that we have, ie showing off DotGNU technology, it will be
> beneficial to have something that people would adopt on a large scale.
> if someone wants to create a game and popularize it, thats fine too,
> but is a matter completely separate from the original motivating for
> making a game with DotGNU as i understood it from the original email.

A new game was my plan from the beginning, actually I've been having this plan
since about March 2002. Since it's now beneficial for DotGNU to make the game I
decided to throw it in the ring.

Well let me state my reasons for creating a new game instead of using Magic:
1. Inventing games is fun ;-).
2. I don't like certain aspects of Magic, the luck factor I mentioned before and
some other rules (like that you can't attack a specific enemy unit and the high
speed of the game).
3. The stuff Fergus Henderson mentioned. With today's laws you can't be careful
enough. Besides I saw on a Magic deck explanation text that they already have a
patent in the USA and are applying for patents in other countries (if not
already succeeded).
4. I don't like copying other people's work.
5. Magic is already so full of cards that there is little room for creativity.
Probably every useful Magic card you can think of is already there.

Greetings,

Peter